Keb Mo

Keb' Mo' - Am I Wrong .mp3
Found at bee mp3 search engine

The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Ennio Morricone - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly .mp3
Found at bee mp3 search engine

What, me worry?

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Nogales & San Carlos


I wonder if there is another place in the world where one can cross a border directly from a developed country like the U.S.A. into the third world portion of a country like Mexico? (Some call it a “developing country”, but that is questionable after so many decades stuck in the same time warp.)The contrasts are precise at first, like a laser has defined the divide between the wealthy and the impoverished. But then Mexico has so many other facets of the modern world that are separate and apart from the living conditions of so many of its people that I wonder if this is really third world, developing, or some hybrid of the two. I would argue for the latter. Of course, parts of the U.S. may appear the same way.
Nogales is certainly a jumping off place for the senses to take a detour from our normal expectations in the States. Things are different in so many ways that the adjustment is slow. I cannot take it all in at once and must rely upon some primal, subconscious cortex root to guide me through the tangle in survival mode. I get nervous. The seemingly chaotic scene at the border crossing is functional in its own way, sort of, and everyone quickly goes on their various and assorted ways. So it works in its own odd way. For the gringo, do not look for too many things in English that are explanatory to help you along on your merry way. Some exist, but not enough to make me completely comfortable.
I really like the new border crossing and bypass that Mariposa Road offers. What a treat! No delays and just a breeze to get to the Kilometer 21 checkpoint where we were one of only two couples filling out immigration forms. Paying our immigration fee took a little longer, although the Immigration Official told us we could pay it at a bank in San Carlos instead of at K21; I wanted it out of the way so we burned a total of only ½ hour at this waypoint. We did get the “red light” at the K21 customs choke point, but the uniformed gentlemen peering into the lifted tailgate of the Suburban only asked me where we were going and then politely told me to leave. I am certain that they did not want to rummage through the volume of belongings adequate for a terrestrial circumnavigation of the globe any more than me.
Today we will scout a little of San Carlos because there are so many new things since my last visit twelve (?) years ago, and to find Barracuda Bob’s so we can get some internet time to make these posts and check emails. Tomorrow we will be grocery shopping in Guaymas and finding the B of A affiliate Banco Santander to get a better exchange rate. Oh! I almost forgot. It will probably be in the low 80’s. Pffhhtt.

No comments: