Keb Mo

Keb' Mo' - Am I Wrong .mp3
Found at bee mp3 search engine

The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Ennio Morricone - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly .mp3
Found at bee mp3 search engine

What, me worry?

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Endless Highway Sympathy

Julie and Alsiha will be leaving Tucson tomorrow for Stockton, Texas enroute to Washington, D.C.
I have a tremendous amount of sympathy for them driving the route through Texas. I once tried to get out of Texas from Houston in one day and failed to make it in my VW van just short of El Paso when a bush by the side of the road spontaneously caught fire a jumped into my lane. I immediately pulled over and took a nap in the back. Brother Earl was slepping most of the way in the back because he had not yet attained the age of 16. I have never again allowed myself to be so deprived of sleep that halucinations hamper my senses, but it is something I will never forget and West Texas is forever on my list of places to avoid. Julie is a very good Mom to volunteer for this duty.
I-10 also goes through New Mexico, but it is a mere blip on the radar compared to what follows in Texas.

This is the one intersection on the highway in all of West Texas.






4 comments:

beisbolfan2007 said...

We recently experienced driving through ALL of Texas on our way to and from New Orleans. The point of interest in west Texas is in Van Horn, where an artist makes things out of tin cans, etc. Cousin Ann bought a neat scorpion there. The never seem to be open, so Ann slipped a check under the door & took her scorpion.

Cleat said...

Shades of Odem Reef as well... one took things into ones own hands when going anywhere in texas in VW Bus (I think they were called Transporters, or some such). Anyway, I recall the episode wherein my bus exploded in Odem, Texas and we had to have it towed back to Houston for a rebuild by "Rat"!! Not a sleep issue but the long drives were hard on a lot of things and people... back in the day.

Cleat said...

... or, the blast straight through in the TR-3 from Tucson to Houston by myself. Or, the other non-stop from Flagstaff to Houston with friend Bob Parker where he said, "I thought all Cameros were supposed to go 90 mph allll the time!!" It only took 14 hours and switching drivers at gas stops was the longest time we spent in one place.

Sandy said...

Ahhh...yet another Texas tale: Back in the 60's I was driving from Missouri to San Diego. Thought all afternoon the first day of that cold beer waiting for me in Oklahoma City. Alas...dry county! Next day drooled all afternoon thinking of the cold beer awaiting in El Paso. Alas...another dry county (in Texas no less)!! Was New Mexico before my thirst was finally slaked!! Another trip to Brownsville, TX revealed there is nothing there but sagebrush, dust & rattlesnakes. Most recent trip to the "hill" country (San Antonio area). Hmmm...hills???? This girl's from Washington!! Now THERE are the "hills"!!!!